Magazine Spread – Project #1

Introduction

For the past two weeks, I have been working on a magazine spread. I started by making concepts for the spread and eventually came out with a final draft. There is a significant difference between my prototype and the finished project. I’ve learned a lot from this project. It helped me understand how certain shapes, lines, and colors can change how the overall feel of a design.

Context

The project was given to our whole class and everyone was given the task of making a magazine spread consisting of three pages. This project is supposed to help us understand Adobe Indesign and its application for the real world. The following is a list of project requirements:

  • Use InDesign
  • 3 Pages; 1 Spread;
  • 8.375” x 10.875” page size
  • 2+ Column Layout
  • 600+ Word Article (Found on LDS.org or BYUIScroll.org. The article can have a title, but no other headings that break it up.)
  • Break the article up with 3+ headings/subheadings
  • 1+ Pull Quote(s)
  • 2+ Relevant Images (Shot by student)
  • 1+ Word Wrap (image or shape)
  • Consistent headings and body copy
  • Contrasting typography
  • Provide a link to the original LDS.org or BYUIScroll.org article in your blog post.

My choice of Typography

I decided to fo with a San Serif and a Serif font. I used the Serif font as my title and headings because I like the larger text to have more flair than the San Serif paragraph text. I used custom fonts created by Exljbris Font Foundry online called “Fontin” and “Fontin Sans.”

The Prototype

Project Design - Draft - GrimmettProject Design - Draft - Grimmett2Project Design - Draft - Grimmett3

 

My Prototype had many flaws. First, the title page is a mess. The title is comprised of too many words and takes up a lot of room; It should have been between 3-6 words and got the point across. The other problem with the first page is the design. The odd shapes create too much clutter. The viewer’s eyes would be all over the page, in addition, the mossy green is unpleasant to look at and a bad color to put text on. Second, the second and third page have this colored ribbon running across both pages. I initially thought that it would be a unique design, but it turned out to be a waste of space. It added to much clutter to the page. The final, problem was the amount of room around the pull quote. The text was hugging the pull quote box and it just gave a bad look the text box.

My Revised Spread – Final Design

Project Design - Final - GrimmettProject Design - Final - Grimmett2Project Design - Final - Grimmett3

Though some trial and error, I reached a design that, in my opinion, looks pretty good. The first thing I changed was the color. I found this light blue to complement the photos of the temple. The next goal was to change the overall look and fell. In order to do this, I had to scrap the custom shapes and space filling areas. So, after coming up with the angled design, I had to figure out a way to make it all fit together. The line from the title page meets the line of the third page and the line of the second page meets with the line of the third page. By doing this it creates a feeling of continuity. Another improvement I made was to the title page. The text of the title is between two parallel lines, heading down from left tot right, This creates leading lines to help the reader’s eyes read the title. I also added another photo on the third page and created more space around the pull quote.

Conclusion

I learned a lot from my first prototype. I definitely went into the project thinking that I could make a fresh and unique design, but it turned out to be too cluttered. After witnessing my mistakes, I was able to incorporate more principles of design into my final work. I added leading lines, a better color scheme, and more pleasing repetition though shapes and lines.

Photos Used in the Project

These photos were acquired by me on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

Advertisements

Typography in Design

Introduction:

95-percent-of-web-design-is-typography

The image was found on a website that promoted font websites.

I couldn’t find an author of the image, but the author of the web page Jesse Aaron.

Image found on – http://inspirationfeed.com/resources/tools/the-massive-list-of-font-typography-resources/

Analysis:

First Facetype

Typography 1

The image above shows two types of fonts. The one surrounded by a red square is from the script face type. It is a script because the letters flow as though they had been hand drawn. The letters share some characteristics as a Serif due to the Serifs located on the letters, but due to the unevenness and erratic behavior of the font, I believe that it is a Script facetype.

 

Second Facetype

Typography 2

The text surrounded by the green square is from the Sans Serif family. The font doesn’t have Serifs protruding from the letters with leading me to believe that it is a Sans Serif. The strong horizontal lines of the letters also allowed me to identify it as a Serif of some kind.

 

Facetype contrast

 Typography 3 New.png

There are several differences between the two facetypes. The Sans Serif has strong vertical lines, while the script font sits at an 80-degree angle, instead of 90-degrees like the San Serif. The script font also has Serifs on the letters giving it a fancier feel.

Conclusion:

The Sans Serif closest to the top is designed to relay information in a serious manner, while the script font in blue shows the creativity behind typography and web design. I audience would learn that fonts and the way the text is portrayed are important in web design.